Friday, May 30, 2008

A Vine and Branches

We needed a name for our homeschool to register with the state. I was in much prayer about this name wanting it to be something that the Lord would appoint to us. I prayed about it and waited and it came to me in the strangest way.
We had a full-sized van and all of us were in it going somewhere. I was the driver. I turned onto a highway that was named Number Seven. I saw that 7 Highway marker and the name came to me like a neon light. I knew that Seven Branches was our name.
I said to my family at that time, "I have our name!"

"What is it? What is it?" they all wanted to know.

"Seven Branches".

"Awe, Mom!" was their unanimous reply.

He is the vine and we are the branches John 15 states. In this passage Jesus says, "Apart from Me, you can do nothing."

My husband and I have five children making us a family of seven. I felt that the Lord was declaring He wanted all of our branches abiding in Him.

This remains a prayer of my heart that we will all remain in the Vine which is Christ. All that we do apart from Him will be rubbish and counted as nothing. I long to see our whole family in a state of abiding. There is rest in that position. It is the only place that I have experienced genuine peace and rest.


4 comments:

Joyful said...

Cheri I just love this "Seven Branches" story! It's even good the second time around :o)

Stay connected to the Vine - He has great things in store for you!

Hope you have a great time away and I look forward to reading more here when you return.

You are a blessing,
Abiding in Him,
Joy

Paula V said...

That's very similar to when I created my blog. I knew that if I created one, I just HAD to have a God-glorifying name for it. Considering the trial I've endured the last year and not understanding WHY. I knew it had to be His way in my life and thus the name of my blog: His Ways....are not our ways. Based on Isaiah 55:8. I find it very true in all aspects of life. None of us know why He does what He does. We can't see the God-picture and how His ways work wonders.

Cheryl said...

Don't you just love it when the Lord gives you something in this way? When we were naming our Homeschool the Lord gave us "Heavenbound", and that we are someday to be!
So glad you are up and running here on your blog space.
You are much more disciplined with regular writing than I am !

Cheri Bunch said...

"Heavenbound" is a great name! I am having fun with blogging! Love hearing from everyone!
It hasn't been posting the date correctly. I think we finally have it fixed. I am going to try to keep it fresh. I don't think I will be able to do it every day, but I am going to try to keep it pretty current so keep checking!
Blessings,
Cheri