Thursday, April 7, 2011

More Than Filling a Page



I have a goal this year. So far, I am on target to memorize the book of Colossians in one year by tackling two verses a week. It has been hard, hard work for me. I have had to be extremely repetitious and diligent in order to get the words to "stick to the pan". That is the phrase I pray when I am working on a verse that is difficult. Have you ever cooked and had a mess of eggs or gravy or something stick to a pan and it was really hard to scrub off? Me too! So I ask the Lord to make these words that I am working on to "stick to the pan of my brain". I have had to ask Him for that on almost every verse.

It is really something, though, when He makes it stick to my heart. A miracle has happened many times over the last few months . . . a miracle of revelation that only God can give. I pray that the transformation process that is happening on the inside of me will be obvious to the outside world one of these days.

It happened this morning. I am working on the final three verses of chapter one and this verse nearly leapt  off the page at me:

"To this end I strenuously contend with all the energy Christ so powerfully works in me." Colossians 1:29

Should I share with you what that verse did to me? Or should I urge you to say it over and over, out loud, at least 100 times (like I have) and see what it does to you? Go ahead, write it down and say it over and over again. It will make much more sense if you read the previous verses. Paul is talking about admonishing and teaching. He is talking about disciplining, sharing the gospel, with sacrifice, for the sake of Jesus and His body, the church.

The verses in chapter one are so powerful! Paul didn't write to fill a page, he wrote words that would change the world.

I guess I had to ask, to what end am I strenuously contending? Am I adequately using the "energy which Christ so powerfully works in me"? I am humbled by Paul's words.

I have had a dream to write for more years than I can count. I don't want to write to fill pages with worthless thoughts. I want to write words that will strengthen the His body, the church. Help me to do that, Lord! Infuse me with Your energy to admonish and teach Your word. For Your glory!

No comments: