Monday, October 14, 2013

                                something borrowed

 I had to borrow this beautiful photo of Olivia and her "mawmaw". Livvey is wearing her mawmaw's beauty and her bridal gown. They are sharing a moment of pretend.  

There are many lovely facets to this sweet photo.

First, it speaks to me of one generation passing on a legacy to another. Mawmaw's strength and dignity are being passed to this little lovey, Livvey. Compassion, generosity, love and forgiveness are worn daily, like a garment, in front of Olivia, her siblings, and her cousins by this beautiful woman of grace. It is genuinely demonstrated to them so effectively they will have to try it on for themselves.Godly character will  pass from one generation to another. Oh, the wealth of their heritage!

There is a message of confidence . . .  there is an aura of beauty we portray when we are sure of being loved. Olivia's radiant face is beaming because she is sure of who she is. She knows . . . she doesn't have to think or wonder . . . this little girl knows! She is confident. She is secure! It is very beautiful!  Psalm 34:5 came to mind. "They looked to Him and were radiant, and their faces were not ashamed." I wonder, would the Lord want us to wear such a countenance of confidence . . .  without a trace of arrogance? I think He does.

Oh, and there is a message of wearing something borrowed, being dressed in beauty that we could not have gotten for ourselves. As Christians, our "wedding dress" was purchased for us, passed on to us.We must borrow, we cannot buy it ourselves. We could not afford it! Sometimes it seems it fits rather loosely about us, this rightness with God that we have been given, no? I hope to grow into it in time, with the help of God's measureless patience and grace. 

It also reminds me of days and seasons past . . . it seems like a lifetime ago, when my "little" girl was trying on my wedding gown. She would float around our house dressed in everything many sizes beyond her own . . .all decked out in heels, veil, gown, jewelery, bouquet. She would light every candle we owned, enhancing the ambiance. Yes, in this photo I see my "little" girl, pretending before becoming . . . playing dress up in wedding attire years before her real, tall, dark and handsome groom actually stood waiting for her to join him at an altar.

It reminds me of a lovely summer day when all those moments of pretend were put far behind us and I was the momma of the radiant bride.

Another facet . . . I don't imagine that Olivia has had one single thought about a groom. That makes me smile! It opens up a whole new plethora of summations for me. 

Mostly this picture speaks to me of love . . . oodles, and oodles, and lots and lots of love.

 What does this sweet photo remind you of? 

" . . . and be found in Him, and not having my own righteousness, which is from the law, but that which is through faith in Christ, the righteousness which is from God by faith." Philippians 3:9 NKJV

Photo used by permission. Thank you, Lezlie, for letting me share this really beautiful photo of Olivia and her "mawmaw"! It is a timeless treasure! 




 


 


2 comments:

Joyful said...

I love the sweet expression on Olivia's face. Eyes closed. Head lifted. Freely receiving love. A reflection of peace and contentment. Humble simplicity. Beauty. Inner radiance glowing. A precious picture.

Yes, this post is a lovely parallel to my thoughts today.
Love and hugs,
Joy

Crystal A Murray said...

I love the pretending before becoming sentiment and how that compares to our walk with Christ. We decrease so He can increase, and when our bodies are made like His glorious body, then everything will fit. :-)