Friday, October 22, 2010

New York City Cab Driver






I woke early. The city noises had crept through the panes of the third story windows all through the night. I had wrestled with sleep through the midnight hours. Before daybreak, I woke for good and decided to dedicate the remaining time to prayer. I prayed for he and she, this and that, them and those. It was a good time of prayer. I felt assurred that I had been heard.

Nothing seemed trivial. I asked about it all. I even prayed about the taxi cab driver who would be delivering me to the airport. I don't really remember specifically what I asked for but I do remember spending some time on it.

When it was time to go, my son-in-law, Drake, helped me to the curb with my luggage. A cab was waiting for a green light at the corner but I am pretty sure that the Lord had him waiting for me. Drake called him over to the curb.

The driver's face was dressed with a sober scowl. It made me shiver.

"Is this the driver you had in mind, Lord?" I whispered with wonder so only He could hear.

We loaded the trunk and I got in the back seat. I had barely shut the door when the light turned green and we began to fly through city traffic. He moved that car like a gazelle as he whisked in and out of busy lanes trying to get me there as fast as he could.

My imagination can easily get carried away. I began to wonder if he was a kidnapper and we were on our way to his hideout. Imaginations can be cruel!

My mind began to ease as signs for the airport began to appear. I got to the airport in record time. I was a very satisfied customer and  I told him so.

"You are amazing! You did such a great job getting me here! Thank you so much!"

His whole body reacted to my gratefulness.

"What," he said with both arms in the air turning to look at my face. "No one has said that to me in my entire life."

"I am sorry," I replied, "they should have. You did a really good job."

It was fairly early in the day when these words were spoken. I have reflected on them several times since then. I wondered if he did. Did they make a difference in the rest of his day? In the rest of his life? Had those few words been able to turn that sober scowl into a pleasant face with twinkle in eye? It would probably take a few more positive words in his life to get it to that place, but I would like to think it was a start. Perhaps he softened some.

It was a small thing. I wondered if I would have spoken those words if I had failed to pray about it that morning. Probably not.

"Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be known to God; and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus." Philippians 4:6-7

2 comments:

North Jersey Christian Writers Group said...

Were you really in NYC??? It's been a year since I last saw you. Next time, my friend, next time!

Perhaps you were the angel he was "entertaining unawares." May the gentle words you shared be a seed that God will water and grow.

Joyful said...

Ah...the power of words my friend.

"A word aptly spoken is like apples of gold in settings of silver."
Proverbs 25:11

The treasure you gave his heart.

Thanks for the many times your words have spoken life to me,
Joy