Thursday, May 26, 2011

A Simple Phrase

He spoke it, I heard it, then I did it.

It was one of the most powerful phrases I have ever heard in my entire life.
He didn't say it the first time I went to him, nor did he give me the eternal nugget the second time that I called.
The tenth time I called him with questions he spoke this life changing message, a few potent words when acted upon.

"You need to read the Bible, then you will know what to believe."

Over thirty years have passed since those words were spoken to me. It has been nearly that many years since I last saw him . . . until the other day.

We were at the funeral of my mom's best friend, a celebration of eternal life.

I beckoned him when I saw his face as he stepped over the threshold of the church.

"I am indebted to you for eternity. You spoke a simple phrase that has altered my life. I am forever grateful!"

I reminded him of my story, of the tenth time when I called him on my quest for truth. Then I told him that I have read through the Bible so many times that I have lost count. It doesn't matter to me any longer how many times, I just want to know it better, know Jesus better.

A few people have been touched by the Word because that phrase was spoken to me. Might there be more?

I cannot express strongly enough the importance of that simple phrase. It was like a pebble dropped in a deep sea, the ripples it created continue to seek rest at the shore. Indefinitely they roll.

Thanking him has reminded me of a lot of things. Foremost, it has renewed a prayer in my heart . . . "Lord, give me power-phrases that will impact Your kingdom for eternity. Amen."

1 comment:

myletterstoemily said...

why is it so hard to convince people to READ
it? sigh. i love your quote and your story!

i also love the coral lipstick tip, as i am
definitely in the mid=age range and can use
all the help i can get!