Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Words



The Lord whispered to me Sunday morning, "you need to ask her to forgive you ... ".

He didn't tell me why ... no need to ... my conscience has been wringing its hands and wringing its hands causing much grief and bother.

Words I had spoken had crossed boundaries that were not permissible. I was weary with wrenching of soul.

He did not rant, rave, throw a fit, or even try to hurt my feelings. He just wanted me to get it right.

Lots of sorrow had moved into me. It was stealing my peace ... filling me with regret.

So when He spoke, it moved me to a different path ... the right one ... the one He always treads. Suddenly I wanted her to hear my sorrow and know my regrets. They were a burdensome load. Confession had power to loose their hold on me.

Later that morning, I crossed the threshold of church looking for her face among the followers. Where was she? I couldn't find her so I went through the motions of service, wearing my cloak of heaviness.

There was lots of greeting with happy hugs, worship following, then sitting down with attentive ear, we listened to the message of the morning.

Words ... the message was about words ... about their boundaries ... things that should be spoken ... things that should not.

The Lord's whisper that had exhorted me earlier in the day was being confirmed by the preacher. It was time to right a wrong. Time to humble myself and admit that the bit on my tongue had gotten loose, unnecessary  fires had been started. Fires that needed to die. (James 3:1-12)

I talked to her today. I couldn't hold it in any longer. I needed to be free.

Pent up, anxious words were finally released as she attentively listened to my plea ...

"I am so sorry! My words crossed boundaries. Please, please forgive me!"

"Without hesitation!" she exclaimed, setting this captive girl free.

Then I ran to Him, "Lord, please forgive  me!"

"Without hesitation," He replied.

Oh, the power of words!

"Set a guard, O Lord, over my mouth; keep watch over the door of my lips." Psalm 141:3



3 comments:

myletterstoemily said...

why is it so hard for us to do this? maybe
we're afraid we won't be forgiven, by our
friends. His mercy is abundant.

thank you for such a sweet post.

and . . . take a picture of your tree!

myletterstoemily said...

cherI

you're such a doll to play along!
sonja sent me a photo of her tiny
trees, 7 inches.

how tall is yours?

just so you know that i'm not a
total wasted cause, i'm going to
tie this all in with the "little town
of bethlehem" story.

blessings,
lea

Laura said...

Cheri,
YOu are such a model of obedience. I love how you listen for His voice. Bless you, friend!