Friday, November 22, 2013



Have you ever heard the story of Annie Sullivan? She was given the title "The Miracle Worker" because she is the one who was able to break into Helen Keller's world of darkness.

The story that I heard about her though happened long before Annie met Helen. She was living in a world of darkness of her own. She was in an institution, in a locked room, all alone. One day, one of her caretakers had mercy on her and began to speak to her through the door. When they would bring her food, they would speak lovingly to her. They got closer and closer in heart, it was by inches, a climb.

Annie began to change. The love she received transformed her. 

No one knows the name of Annie's caregiver, but oh, how differently history would have been without the caretaker's caress. 

 I have tried to research this story, but this part of Annie's history is not recorded in very many places. I heard a pastor tell about it one Sunday . . . years ago. I am still impacted by it to this day. Whether it is a valid tale or not, hearing it altered my life forever.

"Let me be like the one who touched Annie Sullivan, and helped to change the course of her life and the course of history. It doesn't matter if my name is remembered here or not. That isn't important to me at all. I only ask that you let my life impact the life of someone else." This has been the echoing prayer of my heart since the day I was told about this chapter of Annie's story . 

The pastor that shared it was much like Annie's caretaker. He redirected my course.

Love is a powerful thing, my friend. Lord, help us to love.

 Blessings! 

"Love suffers long and is kind; love does not envy; love does not parade itself, is not puffed up; does not behave rudely; does not seek its own . . ." 1 Corinthians 13:4-5a NKJV




No comments: