Tuesday, November 5, 2013

I have never been able to find it, the straight path to forgiveness. It has always been a process for me, more like walking through a maze. I make the decision to go for it, let go of the hurt and walk it out, but it seems I don't get very far in when I hit a wall. I always hear a voice, "keep going, you will get through this," so I continue until I find the opening . . . grace to keep going forward. 

Forgiveness begins with a step of faith . . . you step into it whether you feel like it or not. It is not about feelings, but then faith stuff never is. It is about making a decision to enter.

I don't like mazes. I am claustrophobic . . . get me in the middle of a maze and I panic. I want to get to the end of it quickly because I need to breathe again. 

Forgiving someone can be like that for me. 

Somewhere in the middle of it all, I have to remind myself of how much I have been forgiven. I desperately need the Lord's mercy . . . every day without exception. Remembering my own ugliness will often soften my heart, helping me to move on.

I have to keep reminding myself that there is an exit to this place, this maze I have gotten myself into. Keep going forward . . . hit another wall . . . turn the corner, then go forward . . . hit another wall . . .

Like a walk through a maze, walking through forgiveness you eventually reach the end, the exit is there waiting for you to go through . . . finally . . . FINALLY and not a minute too soon you  find your way through!  FREEDOM at last!

Some have told me, "I could never forgive - - - - - -!" 

The truth is, you can, dear friend. I know because I have been in this maze before and I can tell you for sure that, though there are many walls that come up against, you will eventually find the exit. When you get there, it is you who will be free. 

"But if I forgive them, does that make what they did to me okay?" This is a familiar wall I come to. Forgiveness doesn't justify the one who sinned against me. Once I realize this truth, I make progress.
  
When I make the decision to walk out forgiveness, I am in a maze and walls are in my face, the only thing I have found to do is get on my face and ask for grace to keep walking this thing out. That is the only thing that has given me the power to keep going. 

Take it from one who has been there . . . when you finally get to the place where there are no more walls that come up against you in your heart . . . well,it is simply aMAZING!!!

Have you ever been there? It would be an honor to pray for you.

Blessings, my friend.

"For You, Lord, are good, and ready to forgive, And abundant in mercy to all those who call upon You."
Psalm 86:5NKJV 


 

No comments: