Tuesday, November 12, 2013



"I'm so thankful that you hang my shirts in the closet with the opening to the right!"

"What did I do?" I replied. I was completely unaware of doing the task a specific way. I always feel like if the laundry makes it to the final destination of being put away, then all is well.

This was one of our first conversations we shared as a married couple. Unforgettable. To this day, I cannot hang a shirt on his side of the closet without thinking about it. "Let's see . . . which way should it go?" I always have to ask myself.

 My husband is into details. I am not so much. In the beginning, our differences were the source of many clashes and upsets.

Personality styles is one of the most interesting studies that I have visited. Understanding the different styles has helped me move through life with  a little more grace and patience toward others. You might have studied them as well. If so, you should leave a comment, because I always love to grow in this area.

What is your personality style? 

Are you a melancholy like my husband?

Melancholy folk have also been pegged as "Beavers" if you are familiar with the Gary Smalley studies. That is the terminology that I will use.

Beavers like to work and work they do. They are driven, loving to see a task completed. Details are extremely important to them and they expect perfection of themselves and pretty much everyone else. 

They tend to see the glass half-empty instead of half-full. They can be very serious and often their sense of humor is very dry. This is why they pair well with an Otter, and they often do. They are not outgoing, they are very deep thinkers. This can often be misunderstood as haughty or aloof. Most of the Beavers I know are pretty much brilliant.

Raising a Beaver can be challenging if you are not one. We have two children that are Beavers. They are like their poppa. 

They are the ones who make to-do lists and pass them around to the rest of us when we get together these days. Their organization skills often attribute to our awesome time together.

They naturally see order and are able to draft it from chaos. We need these amazing people in our lives. Especially me!

One time my husband and I had a bit of a tiff. He couldn't understand why I wasn't seeing the world the way he did.  

"I wish I was more like you," I honestly told him. That was one argument that ended in a hug. 

Do you have a Beaver in your life? Beavers are planners. They make lists. They accomplish many, many things. They are amazing people. 

Every personality trait has strengths and weaknesses. The trick is bringing even the strengths into a place of balance. A strength out of balance appears to be a weakness. I've found that this is a good time to pray for discernment and wisdom.

Tomorrow I will be sharing about the Choleric or "Lion" personality style. I hope you will stop by. 

I love to hear your thoughts.

Blessings!

No comments: