Thursday, November 7, 2013




I let it happen. 

I said some things I should never have said. I knew as the words were coming out of my mouth that it was the wrong thing to say . . . we were not in the right company . . . it was not the right time . . . but I did not hold my tongue.

Words slipped because I let them go. A balloon bouquet escaping my grasp would have been more beneficial for my company. 


My gut twisted and turned with regret for days. It still does when think about it. I'm so sorry, but my sorrow does not fix anything.


These leaves have left the branches of the trees they have been hanging on all year. They can never be attached again. Some things cannot be undone.

Have you ever heard the analogy about toothpaste and words? We used it when I taught children's church about 100 years ago. You show kids that words are like toothpaste out of the tube. You can squeeze the tube and the toothpaste comes out, but no matter how hard you try, you can never get the toothpaste back in the tube. Words are like that. Once they are out you can never get them back. 

I  am going to try to do better. Regret rarely visits when I have held my tongue. I hope I do not soon forget this girdle of misery. I really need your help with this one, Lord.

I use the backspace button more than any other when I write these pages. Wouldn't it be nice to have such a feature with our spoken words. 

Do you struggle with your tongue, my friend? Will you pray for me? I will pray for you! 

"Do not be rash with your mouth, And let not your heart utter anything hastily before God. For God is in heaven, and you on earth. Therefore let your words be few." Ecclesiates 5:2

2 comments:

Joyful said...

Love the tree/leaf analogy! I've heard the toothpaste one many times, but I like the use of the tree. One because it's fresh and different, and two because Jesus died on a tree to forgive the sin of the words that fall carelessly and hurtfully out of our mouth. The leaf may not be able to be returned to the branch, but thankfully a "branch" can be grafted back to the tree and relationship restored.

Lord, set a guard on our lips that we might not hurt or injure another. When we sense Your Spirit nudging us to stop, may we heed Your voice and obey. May our words and meditations be sweet, pleasing and honouring to You.
Love you,
Joy

Cheri Bunch said...

Amen! Yes, and Amen!

I confess, you pray! Thank you, my friend!

Hugs,
Cheri